Stay safe around garbage trucks
Please slow down around waste collection trucks and follow these safety tips.
Safety tips for drivers
- Slow down when approaching a waste collection truck.
- Look out for cyclists, pedestrians, and oncoming vehicles before attempting to pass a waste collection truck. The steering wheel is on the right side of the truck, so truck drivers may have difficulty seeing vehicles passing on the left.
- Avoid distractions like using your cell phone, radio or Global Positioning System (GPS) while driving.
- Remember, trucks make frequent stops. Please keep back a safe distance when driving behind a waste collection truck.
- Park your vehicle at least 1 metre away from waste carts at the curb.
Safety tips for pedestrians and cyclists
- Stay back. Trucks have large blind spots, especially at the back and directly along the sides of the truck.
- If you can’t see the driver, the driver can’t see you. Only cross in front of a truck after you’ve made eye contact with the driver and receive an okay to cross.
- Use designated crosswalks when crossing roadways.
- Avoid distractions like using your cell phone while walking and cycling.
- We Are Now On Facebook! August 23, 2019
- Recycle Coach App to replace My-Waste App as of June 14, 2019 August 20, 2019
- Our New Acceptable Materials List April 7, 2019
- Collection Status: All Routes Normal January 1, 2018
- Stay safe around garbage trucks April 13, 2017